Sunday, March 22, 2009

Missing the frenzy; my book abandonment tendency

In college, I did a lot. Too much, really. Any leisure time I used was usually accompanied by large amounts of guilt. I should have been reading for western civ, working on a journalism project, preparing a pols outline for a paper or sending emails for SUA. I rarely read for fun (maybe during breaks), was never caught up on the tv shows I wanted to watch, did not work out as much as I wanted and my apartments were never tidy. I had grand plans for post-undergrad degree life, some of which aren't exactly working out... (Seriously, I thought I'd have so much more money to spend! Damn you student loans and bad credit decisions!)

But reading can be cheap, right? (Hellooooo public libraries!) Yet, I seem to have ADD in my life without a million things going on (ie college!). Right now, I'm reading approximately two thousand books. I started on Wuthering Heights but couldn't quite get interested. I started Farewell to Arms but leave it at work to have something to read during lunch. I watched a recent Vlog about The Great Gatsby and got out my copy from the bookshelf in my room - it's now my main bedside book. I also have a collection of short stories I bought before Christmas by F. Scott Fitzgerald and am somewhat invested in The Last Campaign, a book about Senator Robert F. Kennedy's presidential campaign.

The last book I actually finished was David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames. And that was all short stories. Apparently, I'm not focused enough to finish a full length novel. I'll let you know if it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment