Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veterans Day

Stopped by Hy-Vee this morning before work to get some breakfast and lunch for the office this week.
They had a sign up that they would be offering veterans free breakfast on Veterans Day (tomorrow).

I kept looking at the sign as I walked towards the entrance and thought, "huh, I really like that".

It seemed simple and I couldn't quite place my approval of this offer on anything in particular. Later in the morning it hit me. This wasn't a Hy-Vee junk food extravaganza in which all junk food is 50% off for everyone.* It's a meal. On Veterans Day. To honor VETERANS for their service. Why do all the other places have "SALES" for everyone on a day when we should be thanking our veterans?  We don't.

So please "other stores". Stop using Veterans Day as a sales gimmick. It's rather distasteful.

Nice work, Hy-Vee.

B

*As far as I know, there has never been a junk food extravaganza at Hy-Vee. I just made that up for dramatic effect.

edited to add:

No comments:

Post a Comment