Wednesday, April 27, 2011

strawberry fields forever

No, this post has nothing to do with getting high. That's what The Beatles song was about, right? If not, well, I just assume these things...

I'm listening to the soundtrack from Across the Universe which was a musical movie based on music by The Beatles. I love musicals and who doesn't love songs by The Beatles? The movie came out in 2007 and either that summer or the summer after, my friend Megan and I bought the soundtrack together and drove around Clinton Lake listening to it. It was a 2-disc set and she liked more music on the second disc, I liked more music on the first disc. So after loading all the music from to our laptops, we took our respective discs for our own.
Megan and her boyfriend left in July 2008 to move to Japan to teach English. I've seen her twice (I think) since then. Her first trip back was a year later in 2009 when she and Nathan got married. The next trip back was Christmas 2009 (if you're keeping track, it's been over a year since I've seen her).

Meg and Nate announced a few weeks ago they would be returning to the states (and Lawrence, Kansas!!!) for good this August. They'll be here this weekend looking for a place to live and employment. I am absolutely ecstatic that they are returning! Their return really highlights how much can change in three years. The last year of college (2007) was pretty rough. I had to work and was leader of one of the largest student orgs on campus. I was living with people who ended up not being the friends I thought they were. Actually, now that I think about it, I see that as the leap/transition from being a college student to trying to be a grownup (still a work in progress, really). I am not sure I would have gotten through the summer of 2007 and last semester of college (fall 2007) without her. We graduated that fall and searched for jobs together. We found jobs that neither of us ended up being happy with. She figured it out right away and, when the opportunity presented itself, went on a grand adventure to Japan. It took me longer to figure out that this job isn't what I want. And now, once again, Megan and I are looking for jobs.

Except three years ago, I was 23 and fresh out of college. I spent two months post grad completely unemployed and socially withdrawn. It feels like crap to have had a productive and resume-filled 4 1/2 years to be released to the real world and feel that you may not be living up to the expectations. There were people that hurt me and judged me and I didn't want them to know. I didn't want to spend time with them, let alone know I had failed. Though, now being unemployed for two months doesn't seem so bad in comparison to what the economy has been in the past three years. And my social life has picked back up. Post graduation, it's easy to lament the loss of friends scattered far. It takes more to insert yourself in new social situations and make new friends. It's not easy to do when you're surrounded by thousands of college students who are no longer your peers but the people you're supposed to advise. Now, my job search is fueled by my desire to move back into a career field that I'm excited about being a part of. It's not fuled my a post-grad panic filled with lots of CBS show (the only channel I could get) watching and scrambled egg and toast eating.
Three years ago, I never thought Megan would be married and living with her boyfriend in Japan while I'm planning to move in with my boyfriend. My boyfriend, Phil, who Megan hasn't even met. This seems crazy.




"living is easy with eyes closed"

No comments:

Post a Comment