Walking with a friend recently, we were discussing the latest in our lives: family illnesses, friends and our current dating situations.
She's recently made it "official" with the guy she's dating. I can tell he is making her happy but what I love about her is that as happy as she is right now with him, she doesn't know -or is worrying- about what will happen in their future (which is how dating should be- getting to know someone in the now).
What gets me is her not quite believing she deserves him: "of course you do" I responded. She went on to explain that the feeling comes from her low self-esteem. As she explained further, I thought about myself in regards to working hard, being the good person I think I am and what I deserve. Generally, I think I do deserve the things I work hard for and the relationships (of any kind) that I build. But my problem, I told to my walking buddy, is my confidence. And there, I realized, confidence and self-esteem, while two very similar things, are still very distinct in how they alter our behavior.
My cofidence deficiency means I often question my ability in almost everything: work, dating, general social interactions... It has become better since getting through college and adjusting to my job but it's always still there...just a little bit. It's particularly noticable when I have a falling out with people because "what did I do"? After the initial hurt, frustration and debate with myself, my self-esteem kicks in: these friends weren't actually that important in my life -or- we've parted ways so I can bring people who will have a greater impact on who I am and what I do. Because why spend time on people who don't give a crap about you?
So there we were, my friend with her too-low self-esteem doubting whether she deserved certain things in her life, and me doubting what I could actually accomplish. Thank goodness we have each other to set the other one straight.
The 'why spend time on people that don't give a crap about you' has always been a big question...or rather problem for me. Acknowledgement is the first step right??
ReplyDeleteGreat friends make all the difference but ultimately it has to come from within!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes,
Kate
www.improvedconfidence.com
I think realizing that some people aren't going to be in your life forever is important. But yes, sometimes it's hard to let them go and realize you need to move on.
ReplyDelete