Ah, the internet. Suck a fickle beast, no?
Let's start with a couple things you can read, do, see, track, monitor within your Google account. Lots, right? There's your blogger account. (ie THIS blog!) And you can keep track of all the blogs you "follow" through your dashboard. OR, you can use Google Reader. I've heard good things about the Reader although, I've just started exploring it. Can anyone tell me the reasons to use Reader instead of just tracking the blogs you follow through the Dashboard? I guess you can keep track of more than just blogs?!
I don't know who I heard mention this, but, through the use of Google Alerts, you can monitor your online presence. Enter your name as an alert and google will email you every time something new is out there on the internet with your name! I just set mine up. Hopefully, no one plans on writing anything bad about me because I WILL KNOW!
In addition to reading news or watching videos, you can also date online. I do have a profile (site to remain unnamed) it hasn't been that successful for me. But every so often I get the most bizarre messages. Here's one I got today.
"That's a lot of info packed into your profile. I guess you have a pretty good start on sounding like an interesting person to get to know (very cute smile by the way) Tell me something...what is there about you that would make me want to get to know you better?"
Besides it coming across as slightly RUDE, how the heck would you respond to this? Maybe HE should be giving ME a reason to respond. Argh. I still believe dating is dumb. Maybe because people are stupid and frustrating!
Google Alerts can do a lot more than just monitor mentions of your name. I spend a lot of time helping people use Google Alerts in their daily lives, and I've just completed a free Google Alerts tutorial:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.alertrank.com/google-alerts-tutorial.html
I hope you find this useful.